Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 14 of unemployment

Today was One Stop day!

The workshop went from 8:30-3:30 and for the most part it was interesting.  I heard a lot of stuff I already knew but met other unemployed people that made me feel better about myself.  There was also a fair share of annoying people that like to talk about themselves a lot.

They did not feed us so that was disappointing.

We also found out why we have to sign in and wear name tags every time we go into the building....it's all because of Jared Loughner.  Apparently, 2 months before the shooting he had gone into One-Stop and another building close by wearing a trench coat and just walking around the building staring at walls and just walking up each floor.  It wasn't till finally someone asked him if he needed any help and got his name that later a connection was made.  Since then they've been asking everyone to sign in and wear name badges.  Supposedly, if you aren't wearing a name badge and someone asks you who you are they'll ask you to leave.

In class today we learned about skills we have.  Did you know the average person has between 500-800 skills?  Most people think they only have about 15-40. I'm not sure if sexual skills count here...they might.  We learned how to identify our top skills and personal and work place accomplishments.  We ended with a motivational video from Les Brown.  Today was all about gaining confidence in selling ourselves.  Tomorrow we go back for more.  Hopefully, I won't be sitting next to cologne boy again.

***Oh and we did have homework Dave!  But not writing the 500-800 skills.   We had to come up with an elevator speech, 2 historical figures we'd invite to dinner and why, and fill out an application for the county.  

3 comments:

Stemshul said...

I would like you to list all 500-800 of your skills here. That is your Day 14 of unemployment homework assignment.

I like your new theme. I still cant +1 the posts though.

chooiegoos said...

I was looking for the +1 thing and how to make it happen but then does that post back to google+? If so I kind of don't want to do that b/c a past coworker of mine is on google+ and I kind of tend to talk about her here. I don't want there to be a chance for her to see some type of link even if I do have her in another circle.

katohater said...

Secrets....