One of the things I feel I lack being a new mom is the "typical mom feelings". I don't know how else to name it or describe it. It comes up when someone says
"Did you cry when he got his first shots?"
No, I didn't. But I was glad I got to hold him afterwards to comfort him.
"How did you handle going back to work and leaving him?" (This was when I was working part-time and Zac and I were trading off)
Um-actually it was nice to have 4 hours of doing something else and keeping my mind busy with catching up with work. Sure I looked at lil Ollie's picture a ton but it was nice eating when I wanted to eat without any interruptions.
"Did you cry when you put him in daycare?"
No, well for a second on the way to daycare I may have gotten a little choked up with the feels...but I was excited for him to go to daycare. I know his days of having little friends are coming within the next few years but I loved seeing him in a room with a few other babies.
"How can you even think about putting him in daycare?"
I thought about it alot and I have never had any issues about putting him in daycare. There was one day where I told myself I could be a stay at home mom...and then I laughed at the idea and went on with my day. People say daycares are germ factories. Well so am I. The two times Ollie has had a little congestion is when I've been sick. He goes to daycare everyday but he caught his sicknesses from me. Schools are germ factories, stores are germ factories, families are germ factories, dogs are germ factories and so is everything else in life. Get over it.
"Won't you miss him?"
Of course I'll miss him. I'll miss him more than he misses me. But I want him to get used to the hustle and bustle of a daycare and seeing new people and being ok with new people. I'll still see him and I'll love him just as much throughout the day, that won't ever change.
So when I get these typical questions I try very hard not to roll my eyes and I give the short answer of yes or no. I think I've tried a couple of times where I tried to explain it but I get blank stares like they don't understand or they can't comprehend it. I know it's normal to get overemotional about your kids during these big times and I'm not saying it's dumb if you do, but since I didn't have those feelings and I hear someone else saying how they have anxieties about going back to work and leaving their kid at daycare all I can think is...
Suck it up buttercup
But I can't actually tell that person that. No...I have to be all nice and polite and sympathetic. ARGH!!!!!
Yes, this is directed at one person, that thankfully will never read my blog. Before we were both pregnant it was 6 years of her trying to conceive, and letting everyone know of her ups and downs. While we were both pregnant at the same time she had every symptom. She was well known at the hospital before she even had the kid. The delivery was another whole episode and the recovery was 8 weeks of the worse thing she has ever been through and now that it is time to go back to work it's time for the anxiety. There seems to be a trend and I have to sit next to it while I work or hear about it through email.
No comments:
Post a Comment