ugh, god forbid Obama care about the declining education in America. Really, It's that big of a deal?
So Nisi posted this as her facebook post and she has had several comments going back and forth on this topic. I was ready to jump in and post but by the time I had gotten back to post something the conversation had already turned a little and my point was kind of lost. By the time I started reading there was a lady that said she thinks it's her right as a parent to let her kid listen or not listen to the speech. So I started writing this at work.It’s interesting that parents are afraid the president will brainwash their kids. What about Timmy that sits next to your kid that spouts racist remarks that he heard from his parents or Jenny that says being gay is evil because that is what her mom told her. Hmmm….oh those remarks won’t brainwash your kid. But then you have the President of your own country willing to address children which is pretty darn cool and parents are in an uproar afraid that little Johnny will come home as a Democrat or god forbid a liberal then there is something to raise hell about. What happened to letting your child listen to the message and then discussing afterwards as a family? Or does that not fit between your schedule and their schedule of non-brainwashing cartoons? I would want my child to hear the message as I would want my child to hear if there were a Republican President. I would want to know how my child interpreted the message and then I would continue to brainwash my own child in my ideology, which I would hope would be open communication and listening to both sides before forming my own opinion. You may think being a parent you have to make all their decisions for them but does it give you the right to deny them a historic opportunity simply because it doesn't fit with your political views?
By the time I got back to facebook to try to post my comment the same lady had cleared her point that she wanted parental permission just like schools do for movies. This lady also wanted to read the speech word for word before the broadcast so she could make the decision as an informed parent to let her kid watch it or not. If you are that extreme then fine, whatever. If you are applying this rule to every social function or event than that is understandable. I was just under the impression that some people wouldn't want their children to listen to this speech simply on the grounds that they don't like President Obama or his so-called agenda. ****Just to add I was reading articles from the local paper and The New York Times and I think it's hilarious that parents, pastors and community members are freaking out thinking that Obama is going to take this time to brainwash kids into his healthcare policies, his views on homosexuality, and make them into socialists when the White House is saying that this is a stay in school message. I wonder if conservatives will pull their kids out of school just to go against what Obama says?
Just imagine what the education system could be like if parents gave as much of a shit about that as they do about Obama's speech to their children!
Just to be clear...Nisi wasn't the lady that got me started on this, in fact I agreed with what Nisi posted as her own comments.
3 comments:
Does the person who wanted to read the speech first also read all the text books and lesson plans? Wed all be a lot better off it parents would take the same interest in their childrens education as they apparently do in this.
exactly Dave!
i asked what the big freaking deal was and she spouts off about something not even relevant to the issue? 'because schools aren't asking parents consent before making these school children be addressed by the president' when, schools ARE (for the most part) doing so.
i detest people who just listen to the lame asses on fox news or other lame brains / anti-obama idiots, instead of looking into it them-freaking-selves.
well said teresa and dave.
Post a Comment