While I would say overall both pregnancies have been relatively smooth so far it hasn't been with some set backs. Early on with Ollie we had the possibility from one of the early tests that he might have down syndrome. After much discussion regarding further testing we decided that we didn't need to know for sure and would handle that when we he was born. The rest of the pregnancy I had high blood pressure. The rare times I had gone to the doctor before my pregnancy my blood pressure was always in the higher ranges. My doctor had me on a simple diet of low to no carbs, walking and checking my own blood pressure daily. So I followed it at as best as I could. Getting closer to the 40 weeks I had to do the stupid 24 hour pee test. Collecting your pee for 24 hours is quite the chore and then having to store it in the refrigerator well that is just gross. In the end, everything turned out pretty well.
With this pregnancy, I had been walking with the ladies at work months before I got pregnant. And with having Ollie and having him eat well I myself was eating a little better. Definitely more fruits and vegetables than ever before. So the beginning of the pregnancy went really well. Blood pressure was great and doc was good with that. So I started letting things slide. Ate whatever whenever. Then it was time for the glucose tests. Failed the 1 hour test. Failed the 3 hour test. After much discussion about the validity of these tests we went to talk to a diabetes specialist who explained gestational diabetes to us and gave us tips on what to eat and how to start monitoring my blood sugar. My numbers an hour after eating were all pretty good. My fasting number, the first one in the morning was always over 90. It should be under 90. The combination of the baby measuring 3 weeks ahead and that fasting number constantly over 90 was enough for my doc to put me on insulin. So now at night I take 10cc's or whatever of insulin. What stinks is that 3 days prior to taking insulin my fasting number started going below 90 on it's own. Either my body got used to the new diet or I was eating the right combination for my bedtime snack. My fasting numbers have been consistently below 90 except 3 times. And those 3 times I know I was really stressed/emotional about work or something else.
Taking the insulin hasn't been so bad but I know this isn't something I want to continue doing. Hopefully, this does go away as soon as the baby is born. Starting the diabetes diet was probably the hardest thing to do. I had no idea what to eat the first few days and probably the first week I was constantly hungry and upset. The information I got from the diabetes doc wasn't necessarily accurate for my situation. My doc allowed me more fruits and to cut out the bread, rice and pasta as much as I can. While the diabetes doc limited my fruits and allowed me some bread, rice and pasta. But I'm happy as long as I get good portions of protein.
No comments:
Post a Comment